Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Apples of the Earth

"What the heck is that???" you may ask... Well my dear friends, for those of you who speak French, you will understand that I'm talking about potatoes! The French word for "potato" is "pomme-de-terre," literally, "apple of the earth."

Anyways, the other night I had cooked up some chicken breasts, sweet potatoes, and veggies:
Dinner Plate

The chicken was baked with sage, sea salt, and Indian masala, the veggies were sauteed in coconut oil, and the sweet potato was boiled then mashed with the zest and juice of one lime. The chicken was a bit overdone, it was a bit dry but otherwise delicious. The veggies, OH-EM-GEE I LOOOOOOOOOOVE veggies done in coconut oil!!!!! =D The sweet potato was, well, a bit strong on the lime, so I only had a couple bits of it.

So tonight, while trying to decide what to make for supper, I thought about how I could fix my sweet potatoes so they didn't go to waste. And I thought, "Hey! I have a few red potatoes in the fridge... Maybe if I cook them up and mash them and mix them into the sweet potatoes, it'll mellow it out a bit!" So that's exactly what I did! I also added a few garlic cloves, 1/2 a red onion, and a leftover chicken breast chopped up, sauteed in - of course - coconut oil (seriously, that stuff is AMAZINGLY delicious!!! =D). Once mashed, I added some butter, sea salt, and pepper, and mixed both potato dishes together.

So once everything was all cooked and mashed together, this is what it looked like:
Potatoes

And let me tell you, it is MUCH better!!! I can still taste the lime, but it's not overpowering. In fact, I'm about to go for some seconds... =)

No comments:

Post a Comment