Sunday, May 29, 2011

Rice Pilaf

I got this recipe from - where else? - the Metro Newspaper. Man, this paper has some great recipes! =D

Rice Pilaf
1 cup basmati rice (I only had jasmine)
1/4 cup orzo pasta
2-3/4 cup chicken broth (I used half veggie cuz it was in my fridge)
1/3 cup dried cranberries (I subbed raisins, I don't like cranberries)
3 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp cinamon
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 yellow onion, diced (I used 3/4 of a red onion, was in my fridge)
1/3 cup almonds, sliced
1/2 cup carrots, shredded
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 scallions, chopped

In saucepan over high heat, combine rice, orzo, and broth. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Once rice has cooked, quickly stir in cranberries, then cover and set aside for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

While rice and cranberries sit off the heat, prepare the rest of the pilaf. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add cinnamon, cumin, and black pepper, then cook for 30 seconds. Add onion and sauté until it begins to soften, about 4 minutes. Add almonds and carrots, then cook for another 2 minutes.

Add rice and cranberries to skillet; toss well. Season with salt and pepper, then mix in chopped scallions. Serve immediately.

Serves 4.

The article mentions that if you don't like almonds, you can sub chopped cashews or pistachios, and instead of the dried cranberries, you could use dried currants, cherries, or golden raisins.

Aaaaaaaand I didn't have any scallions (Superstore had none today), but here's a picture of what I made! =)

It tastes alright... I think it'd be better if the scallions were in it - both the flavour and the look would be better... And the look of food always adds to the flavour ;) But I'm unsure about the cinnamon... It reminds me of rice pudding, which I don't really care for... So I will take the article's advice and will "take this in any direction [I'd] like" when it comes to seasonings! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment