Sunday, February 20, 2011

Aztec Hot Chocolate

I remember a few years ago, when I used to watch the Food Network all day during the summer at my job (hehe...), I saw an episode of a show that I don't remember (it was either Everyday Italian with Giada or 30 Minute Meals with Rachel Ray), and they had made a hot chocolate with dried chili peppers. And I thought, "Hey, that sounds really good!"

So now, a few years later, a finally picked up some dried chili peppers from Bulk Barn, yayyy!!! =D Except when I went to make my Aztec hot chocolate today, I didn't have any chocolate cuz I used it all up in my fudge I made a while ago and I keep forgetting that I'm out so I never pick any up at the grocery store. Well no worries, I have it on my list for sure now!

But unwilling to be offset by a lack of chocolate, I just used my fudge! =D

Anyways, here's the recipe:

Aztec Hot Chocolate
1 2/3 cups milk
1/2 vanilla bean, split (I didn't have vanilla beans so I used 1 tsp vanilla extract)
1 chili pepper, split (I used a dry one)
1 cinnamon stick 3-4"
1.5 oz chocolate, grated (I used what equals out to 4.5"x4.5" of fudge)

Simmer milk in a saucepan with vanilla bean, cinnamon and chili. Heat through for about a minute. Whisk in grated chocolate, and continue to simmer until melted. Remove from heat and let 'steep' for another 10 minutes. Strain out the spices and serve. Serves 2.

But of course, I have giant 20 oz. mugs, so it just serves 1 for me =P

No comments:

Post a Comment