Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Mango Salsa Spaghetti

Oh my goodness. Best thing I've had in a loooooong time! In fact, I'd almost say it beats coconut rice and stir-fry!

This recipe is from Metro (where else? =P), and I kinda tweaked it to what I had...
-I didn't have a "box" of spaghetti because I keep it in a container, but I just used up what I had and it worked.
-I only had 1 mango and 1 red pepper, but again, it worked.
-I didn't have large shrimp, nor did I have skewers, so I just used the small shrimp, tossed it with the specified amount of dressing, let it sit for the 10 minutes, then cooked it in a pan. Yes, it worked.
-I don't have a food processor, just a blender, so I used that. The salsa's a bit more pureed than it should be, but the flavour is still as delicious, I'm sure, so, it worked =P
-I left out the jalapeno peppers. I learned my lesson last time. And also, I didn't want a spicy dish.
-I forgot the coriander... Haha whoops...

So without further ado, here ya go:

Mango Salsa Spaghetti
1 box (375 g) whole-grain spaghetti
1/4 cup lime juice
3 tbsp oil
2 tsp finely grated lime zest
2 tsp honey
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb peeled, uncooked large shrimp
2 ripe mangoes, peeled, chopped, and divided
2 red peppers, chopped
3/4 cup red onion, chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup coarsely chopped fresh coriander

Preheat grill to medium-high heat.

In a small bowl, whisk lime juice with oil, lime zest, honey, and garlic. In a separate bowl, toss shrimp with 2 tbsp of the dressing. Let stand for 10 minutes. Thread shrimp onto 6 large wooden skewers that have been soaked in water to minimise flare ups.

Meanwhile, place remaining dressing mix and one mango in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse until finely chopped. Add remaining mango, red peppers, onion, jalapenos, salt, and pepper; pulse until coarsely chopped.

Prepare spaghetti according to package directions; drain well. Grill shrimp skewers for 3 minutes per side or until pink all over. Toss hot spaghetti with mango salsa mix and coriander. Garnish each portion with a shrimp skewer.

Serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment