Thursday, July 14, 2011

Thankful

I was about 2 seconds away from death (or at least serious injury) today.

I was walking from work up to Notre Dame to catch my bus. I was on the side of the sidewalk where I was walking with the traffic flow, and had to cross Notre Dame. On the second half of the road, where there cars were going towards my left, there was a semi in the closest lane to me that had stopped in the pedestrian area, and so I went to walk around in front of it.

ZOOM!!!

A van in the next line goes zooming by, going through his red light.

Had I been even just two seconds earlier, he would have hit me. Having to already walk around the front of the semi, I could not see any oncoming traffic. But seeing as how their light had turned red and I was already halfway across the street, it's not like he was trying to run through a yellow and I was just darting out into traffic.

He just went right through his red light.

I can only assume he didn't see that it was red. It didn't seem like he was speeding, and there were no cops or anything coming after him, so it's not like he was running from something.

I don't want to make any assumptions, because it happened so fast that I didn't even see the driver, nor did I catch the license plate. I don't even remember what kind of van, or even what colour it was.

Two seconds.

I'm even getting shaky again just thinking about that.

There's no doubt in my mind that God had a hand in making me that two seconds late. It's funny, it was just this afternoon that I put in my Facebook status, "Stacey has read a bunch of different statuses from a bunch of different friends about trusting in God instead of myself... Ya think God's trying to tell me something???"

And Alisha told me that for some reason, she felt like she needed to pray for my protection today. That gives me shivers. She did pray how the Spirit was leading her to, and I'm so glad she did!

Two seconds.

That bothers me a bit, actually. I can't explain why, because I know that it was God that saved me today... But I can't get it out of my mind: what if I had been two seconds later?

It's got me thinking about my life. Am I where I want to be? Where I should be? Where God wants me to be?

Have I made sure people know how I feel about them? I know things can be applied and taken for granted, but when's the last time I actually told the people that I love, that I love them?

I called my mom tonight. I did have another purpose to call her (my neighbour had boxes in the hallway, and I wanted to check to see if my mom wanted them for her friend that's moving before I went to my neighbour to ask about them). But I really just wanted to hear her voice.

I don't really like to talk on the phone. But it's amazing how comforting my mom's voice can be sometimes.

I love my mom. And I told her so tonight.

It's a start =)

No comments:

Post a Comment