Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Day 2

This morning started at about 7:45am. I heard the kids get up, but I also had my alarm set for 8am anyways. So I just got up right away, jumped in the shower, said good morning to the fam, then set off on Ruth's bike to meet up with Alex and Kala for breakfast at the Blue Fox Cafe.

Just wanna say, I walked over the blue bridge. It's a bridge that opens up to let boats through. It was really cool! I got off the bike and walked on the sidewalk so I could be a tourist and gawk at everything haha...

Blue Fox Cafe is amazing!!! The atmosphere, the staff, the food... So good! :D

Their special today was two blueberry pancakes topped with vanilla bean cream, sliced peaches, and maple syrup. Serious tastebud party!

After breakfast, the three of us headed back to Alex's. Kala had to get going (she lives in Nanaimo and had to head back for work), and I locked up my bike there. Alex gave me a tour of his new place - which is amazing! The front entrance (which isn't actually used) is spectacular! It actually reminds me a lot of Professor X's school in X-Men.

Then we went on an adventure! We walked around the east side of Craigdarroch, and I found lots of cool fauna! Holly, Monkey Puzzle, some other really interesting things that I have no idea what they are lol...

We made it to Craigdarroch Castle, which is really pretty! We didn't go in, but we walked around the outside, it's cool!

Then we headed downtown via Fort Street, stopping in a couple shops along the way. I got a book and a card! We also found St. Andrews Presbyterian Church, which had its bells ringing! So we went over and checked it out. The church was open for viewings, so we went in. Turns out that the eastern stained-glass windows were dedicated to Robert Dunsmuir (the dude had the castle built), but he died shortly before it actually opened in 1889. And those windows came from Germany, and were sailed around south of the Americas. Huh!

Then we headed down to the wharf. Or as Alex called it, Tourist Central. Which makes sense, there were a LOT of tourist things set up! Hippo bus anyone? :)

We were heading for Fisherman's Wharf, but we only made it as far as Laurel Point Park. Which was pretty :) Stopped and sat down for a few minutes (my feet were kinda sore by this point), then headed back up and around to Red Fish Blue Fish. Which had a decent line-up...

We only waited in line for about 40 minutes or so, which apparently isn't that bad! I'm not surprised, that fish was GOOD!!! I had the grilled salmon, Alex had the grilled albacore tuna. Oh man, as much as I loved my salmon, his tuna was sooooo much better!!! Grilled to medium rare, it was like melt-in-your-mouth splendour! I would definitely wait in line again just for that! :D

Point of interest: that wharf that Red Fish Blue Fish is on would be the equivalent to The Forks in Winnipeg. It is the founding spot of Victoria. Pretty cool!

Once we had our fish, we had to rush back up through downtown, cuz Alex had to be at work for 2, and it was already about 1:30. We ended up parting ways at Cook Street (the street his work is on), so I walked up to his place to get the bike, and head back to the Hickmans'.

All in all, I travelled 8.9km by bike, and walked 7.6km, for a total of 16.5km. Not too shabby for my first full day here! ;)

So I was back at the house long enough to have a quick rinse-off shower (I was stinky from biking those hills lol!) and a glass of water, then I was out the door with Ruth and little sis to pick up big bro from day camp, then we were off to the Victoria Bug Zoo! Oh man was that place ever cool! There's about 50 different kinds of bugs in there. And wow were the kids ever brave!!! They held as many bugs as they were allowed to through the tour! I, on the other hand, was not brave enough to hold any lol. I did, however, take pictures of all the bugs there! I will not post them all, lucky for you my dear readers lol, but here are a few of my faves :)

Frog beetle:

Black scorpion that glows green under a UV light:

Leaf-cutter ant colony (the largest ant farm in Canada):

Malaysian Orchid Mantis:

Once we were back at the house, we made sushi for dinner! :D My first time making sushi, and I think my rolls were pretty darn swell! :)

And they were delicious!!! Cream cheese, cucumber, carrots, mango, alfalfa sprouts, and scrambled egg. AAAAAAAMAZING!!!! :D

I figured it would be a good idea to stay in tonight. After two long (but super fun) days, I recognise that I need to give my body some down time. I was wanting to go out, for sure! But, probably for the best to stay in.

Tomorrow I'm meeting up with Alex again for breakfast at Spoons Diner, then the plan is to make it to Fisherman's Wharf and see the house boats. Gonna be another great day, I'm sure! ADVENTURE!!!!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment